- Quinoa provides you with protein, potassium, fiber, calcium, magnesium, iron, and vitamins.
- Kale provides you with vitamin A and vitamin C as well as some protein and iron.
- Spinach adds great flavor with almost no calories.
- Dried Cranberries are full of antioxidants.
- Walnuts provides you with those healthy fats (omega-3).
- Feta Cheese, while moderately high in calories, adds protein, calcium, and vitamins.
- Apples provide fiber and even more essential nutrients and antioxidants.
Cooking Oil varies on what it provides you depending on what type of oil you choose. I use coconut oil because it gives you energy and another healthy dose of fats that help with brain function and glowing skin.
If you’re looking to really watch your calories go light on the feta, oil, and walnuts.
Cool Kale Quinoa Salad
Prep time:20 minutes
The first thing you want to do when cooking quinoa is thoroughly rinse it in a strainer. Quinoa has a natural bitter coating of saponins, which dissolve when quinoa is rinsed and can be bitter. Some quinoa might be labeled “pre-rinsed.”
Put the rinsed quinoa in a pan with a little oil and dry toast for a couple of minutes until it drys out. Add 3 cups of water, bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
While the quinoa is cooking prepare your other ingredients. Slice up the kale and remove the ribs as much as possible, chop the walnuts if you bought them whole, and chop up the apple.
In a pan over medium heat wilt the kale with some oil of your choice. Set the kale aside to cool.
Once the Kale is cool, toss together all the ingredients in a large bowl and drizzle everything with oil as a dressing. You can eat right away or place in the fridge for later. This is the perfect salad to share as a main course because of how many nutrients it provides.
After you have tried it please take note: this is now your new favorite healthy snack!